Tuesday, December 20, 2005

i remember.. i remember IT

I was fifteen, and it was sometime during the earlier months in the year. I remember clearly. I had been saving for a long time for that outing because unlike some other people, I don’t get all life’s luxuries on a silver platter. I normally had to work to earn what I wanted. We were all sitting in that restaurant; all of us were fifteen then, pretending to look all grown up, matured and rich. Those were some of the good unforgettable days.

I remember where I sat. I remember because it was so easy to look at you from where I was sitting. I remember because the moment I saw you I felt an unexplainable feeling. I guess it had been there long before I even cared to take note. You were the one who wanted to see me first. I was so young and naïve and I had no idea why you wanted to see me. But I was so excited all the same. Confusion is a big issue for a fifteen year old, you know. Then, I saw that tall figure of yours walking into the restaurant. We exchanged hellos and goodbyes before we left, and that was the end of it.

After that, we met each other occasionally. We really did frequently meet when I was fifteen. I remember when all of us were up North. I hated you then, being the protective sister that I am. But I liked your patience because I had never met anybody like you before. At the same time I envied you because you were somewhat “stealing” somebody who is mine. It was complicated and again, I was so naïve. I hated and liked you simultaneously. That was enough of a complication for me at that point in time.

The same year, we met again during the fasting month. For me, it was a special time because that was the first time I was permitted to go out at night. And that day, I was supposed to meet up with a cyber friend of mine, whom is supposedly the handsomest bloke on planet earth. But he didn’t turn up, and that upset me. You knew he was supposed to be there, so I remember you asking me about him. I remember how you towered over my tiny figure, furious that the bloke broke his word. It felt good to feel so protected. But you weren’t mine. Not then.

After that, I didn’t meet you for the longest time I could ever remember. I finished school, but you finished first. I was back in school for an event and you were there too. We didn’t go to the same schools but you were everywhere I was. I remember myself saying hello enthusiastically, like an excited kid who had just found her long-lost kitten. That was it. We exchanged hellos; a very enthusiastic one my part that is, and we never met again.

That was until I was in my first year in university. Life had been rough, for you as well as myself. I was in the state of severe insanity. I was a walking stick, a living skeleton. It was November, I remember. Novembers are normally very sweet. And this one was no exception. I was being spoilt. I wanted you to give me something. And so, I went to see you some place near my place. I was shocked to see the person you were with. I didn’t know. I got what I wanted; I went home happy, a little bit shocked though. But I forgot to thank you. I remember because you called later that day to remind me. I guess I really was a zombie with no manners. At that time, that is.

After that, we had many telephone conversations. You were no longer with the person I saw you with in November. For some unexplainable reason, I felt relieved; I almost smacked myself for feeling good. I told you so before. I guess it had always been there, unrevealed. Things were beginning change between us. Somehow I knew something was going to happen. It did. It finally did. It shocked many. I shocked myself. It numbed some, and question marks were lingering in the air. There was traffic.

But we relieved that congestion somehow. Sometimes, all you need to do is to believe in people. Each one of us deserves a chance, chances even. And by giving, we would receive. I did just that. And it has definitely paid off.

I don’t know why the memories of you seem so vivid in my mind. I remember every little detail. I remember you. I guess you were always there. And likewise, I was there all the while as well. I guess we just took time to realize and to remember that through it all, we had always been together for a long, long time.

1 comment:

AkuSukaBelog said...

...they have been the ones who've seen enough...this is what u called love...