Sunday, October 23, 2005

once upon a time ago...

Once upon a time ago, many, many things were forbidden. I was told a million and one things were wrong and that if I did them, relevant sanctions would be imposed on me. Now, they are told that things are wrong, but the sanctioning part is still very much joked upon. Once upon a time ago, when we were still living in Seremban, going to Seremban 2 with my friends was an unforgivable sin. I got caned for not following orders. Now, going to OU or Subang Parade and coming back at 9 p.m. is not wrong for an 11 year old. It is perfectly fine. My curfew when I was 11 was Maghrib. It still pretty much is Maghrib nowadays. And I am 20.

Times have changed so much that the youngsters (not that I’m so old myself though) are scaring me. I never remembered myself to be so overly conscious about what type or what brand of school bag I used to school. I mean, hello, you’re just putting in big blocks of rock-sized books in them. So, I used brands like Swan and Stabillo, and God knows what. The kids now, on the other hand, well, are very much the contrary to what I was back then. They don’t have Quiksilver, they don’t go to school because they’re not fashionable enough. When Quiksilver is too much, they settle for less, for things like Rip Curl, or Tropicana Life. Then, they deem fashionable enough to appear in school.

The other thing that matters in school now is, “Ey, rambut awak buat rebonding ye?”. That an 11- year old is promised hair treatment in the event she gets good grades in her final exams. I craved for a bicycle when I was 11, I worked hard for it, and got it when I was 12. They nowadays don’t give a damn about what bicycles can do. They don’t even play outside no more.

Talking about bicycles, we used to cycle to the shops when we were 11. We knew how to “isi angin tayar”, and how to maneuver the bike with loads and loads of groceries on each side of the handle. The kids nowadays, “Kak, adik nak gi beli pembaris, tolong hantar bole?”. Not that I mind the driving and everything. For somebody with no car of her own, and who does not get the chance to drive very often, driving is heaven. But to go out and get one measly pembaris?. Well, need I say more about how spoilt they are nowadays? They have an option to choose from a range of choices, so they opt for the car, when they can simply walk.

And the last thing on my list of “ketidak puasan hati betapa mengada-ngada nye kanak-kanak zaman sekarang”, is the fact that parents don’t care that much anymore. I don’t mean, literally don’t care anymore, what I meant was don’t mind, yes, they don’t mind as much as they used to. Perhaps they have mellowed down a couple of ways, but for fathers to be part of gossiping about boyfriends and how to tackle girls? Wow. Times really have changed. My sister can talk with boys in front of my parents. My guy friends normally never called back when my father picked up the phone. He used to scare us all, not that he did anything to them, mind you. They were just scared of him. But the guys these days, tak faham bahasa. Orang kata kat toilet tak sampai 5 minit call balik. Tak tahan ke apa? hadoi..

There you go. What it was back then and what it is right now. Makes me scared to have my own kids. What next? Open acceptance of PMS? (the other PMS, I mean). I certainly hope not..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i miss those days!!!!!!! those cycling days i mean..hehehe

Anonymous said...

those days of crossing the big huge longkang to go to pear's and "monyet tak pandai panjat pokok." no one cared about anything else but play, play and play!

Anonymous said...

see? see what i mean. my childhood frens understand me. they were the ones who shared my moments of panjat pokok, mandi longkang, slide kat bukit, book swing kat padang, tangkap ikan keli, apa lagi, makan ice cream asam yang 20 sen tu. budak skarang tau cornetto and magnum jer. huish.

they're all spoilt brats now, kan kan? i love you both muahs muahs